Dental Oncology is a focus of dentistry dedicated to dental and oral manifestations of chemotherapy, radiation therapy and/or head and neck surgery. It is an area of oral medicine devoted to improving the well-being and quality of life of people battling cancer.
A dental professional knowledgeable in dental oncology plays an important role throughout cancer treatment by preventing and managing mouth sores, dental needs, oral pain, and infections. It also emphasizes oral cancer prevention and early detection.
Because of my training and experience with treating pre and post oral and pharyngeal cancer patients, (i.e. full mouth dental rehabilitation), I am knowledgeable in identifying the developmental side effects of cancer therapy and equipped to only uniquely treat patients with a history of cancer.
- Comprehensive clinical exam for early signs of Oral and Head & Neck Cancers
- Evaluate patients before stem cell and bone marrow transplants
- Periodic care during and after cancer therapy
- Treat and manage the dental and oral side effects and sequelae of cancer therapy such as mouth sores (mucositis), thrush (candidiasis), dry mouth (xerostomia)
- Provide fluoride trays for use during radiation therapy
- Work closely with your oncology team to provide pre-treatment oral assessments and supportive oral care before, during, and after your cancer therapy.